> It is less likely for it to have users if you don't version your
> releases and publish them. :) If a package is not on luarocks.org
> people can't refer to it as a dependency in their own rocks.

Chicken and egg, here. The issue isn't just xtable, it is any piece
of software that has not been used by anyone except the author.
Such software is alpha at best. My opinion of rocks on the server
is, maybe misguidedly, that one has a good chance of getting
something fairly reliable, and that only comes when enough people
have used it.

Publishing a rockspec on this list is my compromise.