On 8 September 2015 at 09:46, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm not yet ready for either uploading to the server or
>>> making a tag but anybody wishing to test out the current
>>> version can install it using Luarocks on the attached rockspec
>>> (almost identical to the one Philipp provided).
>>>
>>> Main differences between 1.0.2 and 1.0-4:
>>>
>>> 1. Note the hyphen: LuaRocks naming convention in effect.
>>
>> This should be 1.0.4-1 (that is, if you're skipping 1.0.3). "1.0.4" is the
>> program version, and the "-1" suffix is the rockspec revision. The idea is
>> that you increment the revision if you submit a fixed rockspec that points
>> to the same code.
>
> The program version, as far as I am concerned, is 1.0.
> There is absolutely no functionality that was not present
> three years ago.

That is not how version numbers roll in LuaRocks (and in any other
package management system). If there are any changes in the upstream
code, it _is_ a new version.

If you're saying this in the sense that "the program version for Lua
5.1.1 and 5.1.5 are both 5.1", it's not the case either: first,
because from a package manager perspective 5.1.1 and 5.1.5 _are_
different versions; second, because you even list a function that has
been renamed since xtable 1.0.2. Therefore, there are definitely
incompatible changes.

In short: version number equality means code identity. The revision
number suffix is for versioning the rockspec itself.

-- Hisham