On 5 September 2015 at 15:30, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The rockspec I sent works[*] on Linux and Windows (MinGW and Visual C), and
>> probably all other platforms supported by LuaRocks. No need to mess with
>> internal Lua macros ...
>
> I deduce that simply listing the source files is enough to
> make LuaRocks do the right thing.

Your deduction is correct!

> That _is_ impressive.

Thank you! :)

> I might still need internal macros for the Lua 5.1 version.
> These should be trabsparent to LuaRocks.

Yes, that can be kept within the sources, since lua.h exports
LUA_VERSION_NUM and you can #ifdef based on that.

A suggestion: make Git tags for your releases, as in
   git tag v1.0.2
   git push --tags

So you can specify them in rockspecs for a given version:

   source = {
     url = "git://github.com/dlaurie/xtable",
     tag = "v1.0.2",
   }

When uploading to the luarocks.org server using
   luarocks upload xtable-1.0.2-1.rockspec
it will generate a .src.rock file containing the code for that
specific tag (the end user does not need to have git installed). You
could use a download URL for your .zip file, but having Git tags for
releases is a good idea as it lets users browse the code for specific
releases online on Github more easily.

-- Hisham