William Ahern <william@25thandClement.com> writes:

> It sucks that people are relying on pkg-config so much. If pkg-config is
> installed, then you're already on Linux or one of the BSDs (and OS X only
> _if_ something like homebrew is already installed), in which case
> portability is relatively simple. I just had to hack the OpenDKIM build
> because it assumes pkg.m4 already exists, which is only installed with
> pkg-config.
>
> pkg-config is useful when it's available. But it's _not_ available in
> environments where autotools actually adds value. Why bother using autoconf
> and automake, which go to extreme lengths to ship the necessary build
> dependencies, and which add tremendous complexity, then have a hard
> dependency on something like pkg-config, which would only be available by
> default on systems where you wouldn't even need automake to begin with.

Shipping .pc files for those who want to use pkg-config does not mean
depending on pkg-config, does it?

Are there any problems with making "make install" put lua-X.Y.pc into
$prefix/lib/pkgconfig/, with the following contents as generated by the
Makefile?

version=$R
prefix=$(INSTALL_TOP)
libdir=$(INSTALL_LIB)
includedir=$(INSTALL_INC)

Name: Lua
Version: $${version}
Libs: -L$${libdir} -llua
Cflags: -I$${includedir}

If that looks OK, I can try to make a patch, though I'm a Makefile noob
and all.

Taylan