Il Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:01:58 +0100 Enrico Tassi <gares@fettunta.org> scrisse:

> The best way out is that the Lua authors fix the spelling, exactly as
> they fixed it for the language name (not LUA, but Lua).

I second that. I personally used a variation of this code (courtesy of
AX_LUA [1]):

dnl Some default directories to search.
LUA_SHORT_VERSION=`echo "$LUA_VERSION" | $SED 's|\.||'`
m4_define_default([_AX_LUA_INCLUDE_LIST],
[ /usr/include/lua$LUA_VERSION \
/usr/include/lua-$LUA_VERSION \
/usr/include/lua/$LUA_VERSION \
/usr/include/lua$LUA_SHORT_VERSION \
/usr/local/include/lua$LUA_VERSION \
/usr/local/include/lua-$LUA_VERSION \
/usr/local/include/lua/$LUA_VERSION \
/usr/local/include/lua$LUA_SHORT_VERSION \
])

and I bet there are much more snippets around following this pattern.

An upstream pkg-config that imposes a specific versioning scheme would
resolve this issue.

Ciao.
--
Nicola