Some pragmatism would really help this time :)

> [...]
> with Tomás after I returned to Rio) so it was nice to get both
> perspectives. It's clear to me that collaboration can easily happen,
> it's just a matter of having the mechanisms. (Also, we need to drag
> Tomás to one of the Lua Workshops — he's one of the unsung heroes of
> the Lua module world :) ).
>
> So, the concrete proposal boiled down to this:
>
> * We create an organization in GitHub (essentially a group account,
> like http://github.com/keplerproject ) which will host some projects
>
> * The criteria for hosting them in this org will be simple: it will
> host modules being maintained by two or more maintainers. This way,
> people can join, leave and the project keeps its continuity, without
> people having to figure out which fork in GitHub is the maintained
> one.
>
> * If maintainers leave the project to the point that there's a single
> remaining maintainer, the remaining one can ask for volunteers to join
> in lua-l, and if no one comes up, the project is moved out of the org
> and into the sole maintainer's account.
>
> * This way, instead of a subjective selection of modules (some
> maintained and some abandoned) like in Kepler, looking at the projects
> in the org you'll have at least the guarantee that (a) they are not
> abandoned, (b) there are at least two people who use/like/maintain
> this project. (So it is to an extent a metric of curation, but a
> concrete one.)
>
> If I'm misrepresenting anything that was discussed in the BoF, please
> do correct me! It's been weeks!
>
> There are probably other practical details to decide (For example, how
> long does it take until a project is abandoned? My suggestion is to do
> a yearly review to check if maintainers are still involved/reachable.)
>
> And then we get to Pierre's questions:
>
> 1) How do you want to call this organization?
>
> As I told Justin over lunch after the BoF meeting, this is probably
> the hardest question. :) luateam is obviously taken by the Lua Team,
> luausers was suggested in the BoF might be confusing with the
> lua-users.org wiki... luacommunity? I like the sound of it.
>
> 2) Who wants to be part of it?
>
> I think it's a matter of seeing which projects we start moving, and
> who volunteers to their maintenance teams. LuaSocket and LuaExpat
> would be two obvious initial candidates.
>
> I'm pretty swamped by the bunch of stuff that I already maintain so I
> won't joining maintenance of any new projects, but since I have admin
> access to the keplerproject org and we'll probably do some migrating,
> I volunteer to perform general account administrivia (again, in the
> spirit of the idea, we need at least one more admin, IMO preferrably
> someone outside of LabLua — Pierre?).
>
> 3) Who wants to create it?
>
> I can kickstart it and I can also move LuaRocks to this new org, as
> its development is already done collectively (and in particular I'm
> grateful to Thijs and Ignacio for allowing me to not have to take care

Thx for your clear writeup and offer to kickstart. I like the approach outlined.

But I'd prefer to clean up instead of adding to the mess. There are two existing projects; Kepler and LuaForge, so please don't add new stuff to the equation

My 2cts;
- use LuaForge for anything abandoned and up-for-grabs for anyone who wishes to take over maintenance
- use Kepler for the method described above (team based)
This might involve moving some Kepler stuff over to LuaForge

@Hisham; No need to take my approach, but most of all; be pragmatic, and make the change. This list has a bad reputation for consensus, so waiting won't help :)

Thijs