On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3 4⍴⍳12
> 1  2  3  4
> 5  6  7  8
> 9 10 11 12
>> A←3 4⍴⍳12
>> 2 3 4⌹A
> ¯0.35 ¯0.075 0.2 0.475

That gave me a nostalgia rush (not all APL memories are painful).

But surely it is awkward to type without a special keyboard? (we used
to have special IBM golf ball terminals to speak APL with the
mainframe)

I suppose my concern is that the compact notation favoured by
mathematicians (so they can cram as many thoughts onto a A4 page as
possible[1]) is not necessarily something to be admired in production
code ;)

[1] e.g. Einstein convention - drop all those damn big-Sigma explicit
summations and sum over corresponding indices.