Am 08.04.2014 09:46 schrieb steve donovan:
The C++ binding ecosystem seems to be a classic case of scratch a
particular itch, and move on.  Presumably these things once worked as
intended? ;)

Just what I felt. For example, the github repo of LuaWrapper for example, has been forked dozens of times. Some of them just for a fix, some substantially changing it. That's gota mean something.

A particular issue with C++ is that it's an evolving language, but not
everyone is able to follow the latest goodness (and it's definitely
getting better, I might even start writing in it again) Plus, any
group of N C++ programmers will have N opinions about correct style...

It sure is. But it is also full of existing large scale applications that don't have the luxury of switching to the newest stuff. Lots of folks are stuck with older compilers for longer than they would like to. I don't think this particular case actually has much need for the newest C++. The code of LuaBridge for example strikes me as rather well written and nice and doesn't need that. Aside from the fact that I had to ditch it though, but that's not the point. It's just that something like that, with that very nice documentation that it has would be just right.

Moose