As an additional plug, if you have a modern C++11 compiler, you're
encouraged to check out Selene [1]. I used it for pretty much exactly
what you're doing. I recommend not using the native C api because you
give up type safety and keeping track of the stack can be a headache.
A good binding library will let the compiler do the work for you.

[1] https://github.com/jeremyong/Selene