> I would like a recommendation from someone with experience for a higher level wrapping API.

In my experience, luabind is a pain. True, it supports almost any
conceivable feature of C++, so you don't need to change your API too
much in order to expose it to Lua, but it relies on Boost and that
means compiling your program will be a looooooong process.

I'm very happy with LuaBridge [1]. It doesn't support as many features
as luabind (e.g. no overloaded functions), but it's dependency-free
and fast to compile.

[1] https://github.com/vinniefalco/LuaBridge

-- Camilo