LuaDist can be built using Microsoft Compilers, while we do not
generate binaries for it it is entirely possible to do so.

However I am puzzled by your claim of problems with generating
self-contained apps using the MinGW compiler. One of the reasons
LuaDist uses MinGW and not MSC is because there are problems with
outdated MSC libraries. This is the primary problem of the original
Lua For Windows distribution, just look in the list archives. The
MinGW based LuaDist binaries on the other hand are entirely
self-contained and work without any system dependencies on Windows XP
and up.

The luadist utility does not at the moment provide the means to create
static builds with preloaded c modules, however it is possible to
generate static libraries of any binding/library in luadist that you
can then link in yourself. This feature is being worked on and it will
be supported directly by the luadist utility.

Maybe you could also elaborate on your requirements for
"self-contained" application. If by this you mean a application that
has all its dependencies contained in a single directory then LuaDist
is exactly designed for this. If you need a single executable with no
additional files then you need to be aware that you will still need to
link against certain libraries dynamically anyway if  specified in the
associated license. This severally limits this type of deployment.

However it is also possible to pack LuaDist apps as single executable
by using 3rd party apps and tools such as Cameyo.

pd