Thanks everyone for the feedback. And additional thanks for not
starting an indentation holy-war, that wasn't the point..

I was rather looking for an answer to a question if 3-space
indentation was an accident or an outdated tradition, since I couldn't
remember running across a place to use it but -- as far as I can tell
from the discussion -- it's still used by people, so the default won't
go anywhere (but users are free to set up their own indentation
scheme, it's Emacs after all).

Cheers,
immerrr