On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 03:12:24PM -0500, phlnc8 wrote:
> Let's bring some rationality here :-)
>
> 3-space indent is nice with 'if' statements because the condition is
> nicely aligned with the first statement after 'then'.

Indentation and alignment are two separate issues. We can _all_ agree that
blocks should be indented, just not what the width should be. Use tabs and
_every_ can be made happy by setting their tab stop.

If you prefer a particular alignment when wrapping statements, expressions,
and comments, then align them--using spaces. It's far easier for people to
deal with quirky alignments then it is to deal with quirky and annoying
indentation. And because alignments can be very complex--with invariably
corner cases that require you to violate your own rules--editors do a
horrible job of reflowing alignments of complex statements, so better to
just disable that feature (please!).

If you use tabs for indentation and spaces for alignment, then when people
change their tab stop your alignment will still magically work.