On 05/01/14 01:04, Tim Hill wrote:
[...]
>> Aside from that, does anyone remember the origin of this 3-space
>> indentation convention?

I *think* it came from Visual Basic --- that's certainly where I first
encountered it, back in the Win3.1 days. But I don't remember whether it
got it from QuickBasic (back in the DOS days); I found a copy of
gorilla.bas and it uses two-space indentation.

I'm afraid the VB connection means that three-space indentation is
irrecoverably tainted with evil and must be abandoned forthwith.

(FWIW, I've never encountered the three-space Lua standard before.)

│ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming
│ language in which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." ---
│ Flon's Axiom