On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Paige DePol <lual@serfnet.org> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2013, at 12:39 AM, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:

In a previous post I explained my view regarding the law and fears of
being arrested. Since we now discussing reactions of population in
general, I would say that, again, if you ask for trouble in Russia,
you will get it, as in any other country. If you mind your business,
you'll be fine.

>> No witch hunts here.
>
> A simple Google search disproves that statement easily. There are many articles and, sadly, even videos of gay and transgender people being abused by people in your country while bystanders stand by and do nothing. I wonder if the news media in Russia is simply not reporting these stories?
>
> These are not isolated incidences, there are groups of people and individuals who, bolstered by the anti-gay laws, are deciding that anyone who is gay, or even suspected of being gay, is deserving of their wrath.

I will not comment on these statements on-list — it is off-topic here
— besides repeating that persons doing their research (including
"simple google searches") on a politicized topic like that are advised
to use their heads and think by themselves.

> I wish you well and hope your Workshop is a success, however, I would advise serious caution for anyone travelling to Russia at this time. Especially if you are gay, transgendered, or otherwise not fitting a "traditional" role.
>
> ~pmd~
>
> PS: I am sorry if this is off-topic as it does not directly pertain to Lua. However, I really would not like to see anyone get hurt attending a workshop in a country that may be dangerous to them.

All I can say is that if I was thinking along these lines as you, I
would skip Toulouse Workshop myself, given recent events in France.

Alexander.