On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:37:57 +0400
> Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I will not further comment on the Russian laws or whole homophobia
>> business, this is off-topic here. Interested parties may always
>> contact me off-list.
>
> Offtopic? Really?
>
> Last I looked, Lua is the topic of this list. Last I looked, this
> thread is about the Lua workshop being on Moscow, with the idea of Lua
> people coming to the Lua workshop. That puts the Russian ban on
> "distribution of propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among
> minors", which some believe could include saying you're gay, squarely
> on topic. Just like if it were held in Florida, USA, discussion of the
> Stand Your Ground Law and the US Healthcare mess (which would be bad if
> you got sick here), would be on topic.
>
> I know every country has its problems. No country's perfect. But
> you can't simply declare offtopic a risk certain people incur just by
> attending a Lua convention in Moscow.

Well, do you have a practical question then that you would like to
discuss? Because I see that this topic is likely to deritoriate into a
flame war quickly.

Anyway, regarding the workshop and the law. My view of the situation
is: if one behaves reasonably within the letter of the law, he/she is
safe. If one asks to be arrested, he/she will get in trouble he/she
asked for.

Declaring politely to the policeman that you're gay is safe. Holding a
child in front of policeman and telling a child that the child must
become gay is against the letter of the law and will get you arrested.

Provided that we'll be organizing a Lua Workshop, and not a LGBT
propaganda to minors kind of meeting — and everyone attending is aware
of that fact — I do not foresee any problems for attendees, regardless
of their sexual orientation.

Alexander.