On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:37:57 +0400
>> Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I will not further comment on the Russian laws or whole homophobia
>>> business, this is off-topic here. Interested parties may always
>>> contact me off-list.
>>
>> Offtopic? Really?
>>
>> Last I looked, Lua is the topic of this list. Last I looked, this
>> thread is about the Lua workshop being on Moscow, with the idea of Lua
>> people coming to the Lua workshop. That puts the Russian ban on
>> "distribution of propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among
>> minors", which some believe could include saying you're gay, squarely
>> on topic. Just like if it were held in Florida, USA, discussion of the
>> Stand Your Ground Law and the US Healthcare mess (which would be bad if
>> you got sick here), would be on topic.
>>
>> I know every country has its problems. No country's perfect. But
>> you can't simply declare offtopic a risk certain people incur just by
>> attending a Lua convention in Moscow.
>
> Well, do you have a practical question then that you would like to
> discuss? Because I see that this topic is likely to deritoriate into a
> flame war quickly.
>
> Anyway, regarding the workshop and the law. My view of the situation
> is: if one behaves reasonably within the letter of the law, he/she is
> safe. If one asks to be arrested, he/she will get in trouble he/she
> asked for.
>
> Declaring politely to the policeman that you're gay is safe. Holding a
> child in front of policeman and telling a child that the child must
> become gay is against the letter of the law and will get you arrested.

Now, the two examples above are extreme opposites. As with all minor
law violations, if you behave reasonably and do not have a previous
record, most of gray area actions (like explaining how it is fine to
be gay to the policeman when minors are happen to be around) will earn
you a talk from the policeman and that's it (at which point you should
stop doing what policeman says you shouldn't do — as in all
countries). At most — you'll be detained and get a talk at the
station. No one wants the paperwork (as long as you're the sane person
who just made mistake) and no one wants to be the focus of the outcry
the relevant organizations will raise.

No witch hunts here.

Anyway, I'm not a lawyer and all that. Everyone should make his own
informed decision. If someone thinks that it is a relevant problem to
them, please do the research. But when doing so, as with all
politicized research topics, seek independent information sources
(like maybe your friends who went to Russia or something), and think
with your head. There is a lot of propaganda flying around these days.

Alexander.