On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I suppose you mean Lua, not LUA. I know BASIC, FORTRAN and COBOL are acronyms, but Lua isn't one. (And I write Basic, Fortan, Cobol because modern typography says that pronounceable acronyms should be written this way, anyway.)

Picking nits in the nit-picking: that isn't properly a matter of
"typography" but rather of literary writing style. And the style
referenced is a bit more complicated. The initial capitalization is
applied only if the acronym's antecedent is a proper noun, a
particular person, place, or thing. So "Nato" but not "Imbr"; use IMBR
or more formally I.M.B.R. instead.

Personally, I don't think it's a style with lasting appeal; disguising
acronyms as proper nouns may visually reduce the obvious acronym soup,
but does so by imposing a pause at each acronym so disguised to
decipher whether it is a real proper noun or an acronym in disguise.

On the other hand, my crystal ball has never worked all that well.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]