On Monday, October 14, 2013, Hisham wrote:
On 14 October 2013 17:08, Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Putting my nit-picking hat on .. Fortran (or FORTRAN) isn't an acronym, it's a portmanteau

No, it's not. It's a syllabic abbreviation of "Formula Translating System":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllabic_abbreviation#Syllabic_abbreviation

A strange phenomenon happened in Wikipedia where users started calling
every combination of words a portmanteau and ended up popularizing
this specific term, which led to a snowball effect (more people aware
of this word, who started using it in even more places). The
"portmanteau" effect has been a minor annoyance of mine for years, and
it even ended up on xkcd: http://xkcd.com/739/

-- Hisham

The Golden Braid strikes again: even pedantic-ery is recursive.

-Andrew