On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 08:58:57 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> > A lot of code is still at 5.1.  Many people (myself included) held off on the
> > 5.1->5.2 conversion to see how things went, and now with 5.3 close it feels
> > like a huge risk to migrate.
> It's understand that you might want to make sure your code _continues
> to work_ with 5.1, but there seems no reason to not support 5.2 as
> well, and no obvious risk from doing so.
> It's almost trivial to make most code 5.1/5.2 agnostic, and Lua isn't
> going to drop the changes in 5.2, so where exactly is the benefit in
> "holding off"...?

I'm well known for doing "unusual" things with my code.  In particular I do a
lot of function environment related stuff.  I do not believe there is a
consistent way at the moment to provide "5.1 standard" setfenv semantics to 5.2
pure Lua code.  I could be wrong, but the large amount of discussion
surrounding it has confused me, and quite honestly worried me.  Perhaps you can
point me at a "porting to 5.2" document I could use to help me understand the
transition?

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69