http://steved-imaginaryreal.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-question-of-notation-revisiting.html

I think most Lua users are fairly happy with the language as it is,  but the argument here is that there are some cases (working interactively, writing tests, etc) where having a more terse _notation_ for Lua is useful and fun.  And a more DSL-friendly syntax can be useful for designing scripting dialects for embedded use.

This goes beyond any crass notion of 'reskinning' Lua [1] - MS is a proper source->AST->Lua compiler.

(That being said, I still find it weird to use a backslash as a method colon: a\sub 1,1 )

steve d.

[1] Boy did I catch flak for that!