On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
Built-in delay of anywhere from three months to forever. Lua 5.3-work1 is with
us — how many rocks are still stuck at Lua 5.1?

Well, LuaRocks can now handle 5.2 or 5.1 trees.  All the important binary packages have been ported (a lot of that has been fixing old 5.0-isms).  There are already a number of 5.2 packages in the Ubuntu/Debian repos.

Generally I work in the 5.1/5.2 intersection, avoiding inline use of version-specific voodoo like setfenv and _ENV. LuaJIT compatibility is probably the main break on major 5.2 adoption, at least for big machines.

It's a lot of work to make non-trivial Lua programs without dependencies, which is why if you have the itch, you have to scratch it yourself ;)   I mean, I _could_ make a self-contained version of luaish that had the sources for Lua 5.?, luaposix and lua-linenoise, but should I do this work, given that  I have already an impossible list of things to do?