On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Hisham <h@hisham.hm> wrote:
> You can install it with 'make bootstrap' and it will itself show up as
> a rock. That's not the default installation method (yet?) as I'm wary
> of conflicting with package managers, etc.

Yes. For instance, first time most people find LuaRocks is as a Debian
package, installed to /usr.  One can then do a straight LR install but
it isn't an upgrade - it has gone into /usr/share.  I took to applying
butchery to the version in /usr to get the new version working, but
this is not very elegant ;)  (There is a proper method which made my
eyes glaze over)

There are certainly advantages to having a local install, with the
tree in ~/.luarocks, with an appropriately modified LUA_(C)PATH.