On 26 March 2013 08:42, Leo Razoumov <slonik.az@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Hisham <h@hisham.hm> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce we just reached 250 entries in the LuaRocks
>> repository (that's 250 different things for which you can run
>> 'luarocks install thing'). Counting multiple versions of projects,
>> that totals 739 rockspecs so far. I
>
> Hisham,
> thank you for your efforts creating LuaRocks and maintaining the rocks
> collection !!
> Your efforts are greatly appreciated!!
>
> Sorry for asking the same question over the last three years :-)
> Can LuaRock update itself to a newer version using LuaRocks mechanism
> or it still requires manually removing old luarocks and installing a
> new one?

You can install it with 'make bootstrap' and it will itself show up as
a rock. That's not the default installation method (yet?) as I'm wary
of conflicting with package managers, etc. There is also no rockspec
for LuaRocks in the main rocks server, but there is a "rockspec" file
in the root of the LuaRocks git tree. Testers and feedback are welcome
for the luarocks-as-a-rock feature, it would be nice to eventually
have that as a default (in the case of package-manager-based
installations, I think it could be possible to give the user the
option to install a more updated version in their local dir overriding
the system install, but not messing with its files).

-- Hisham
http://hisham.hm/