From: David Given <dg@cowlark.com>
To: lua-l@lists.lua.org
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi and Lua

> ...Debian armel, so FPU performance is slow. (Both Debian and Ubuntu
> target ARMv7+ only for the armhf variants with proper floating point
> support. The Raspberry Pi has an ARMv6 processor in it.)

With Gentoo, you will got the binary optimized for the CPU you're using (and on my 10y old box, I really feel the difference b/w Ubuntu and Gentoo).

> I don't know how if this will realistically affect Lua --- it's pretty
> float-heavy, but people tend not to do number crunching in it.

I still use my 68010 Amiga 1000 (no FPU) and it is quite usable, even with heavy and badly programmed interpreted language (like the infamous AmigaBasic ... made by microsoft). In C++ you can even do some real time signal processing. And an 700 Mhz ARM is far far far faster that a 7.14 Mhz 68010.