Amalgated build. That's what SQLite is doing, and it's very easy to import in other projects - .vcproj, XCode, makefiles, etc.

It could make sense for lua, but for luajit (although there is amalgated build), there are some extra steps required.

As for automaketools - I was always puzzled by them. Generating something to generate something else is fine, as long as it does not become part of your source code distribution - there seems to be couple of things here, but I've never bothered going in details.

Qt's qmake system was nice, and GNUStep one (based somewhat on NeXT/old Apple makefiles is not bad either).

I don't particulary like CMake, as it's been pain in the ass for me to use - it goes again with this generate step, and requires some extra attention - where it should be installed, where the recipes to be found, etc.