On Oct 27, 2011, at 14:40 , Christian Liesch wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any reason why lua do not use a configure script generated by autoconf/automake?
Yes, there are many
- Only works on GNU/Unix/Linux systems (pain in the *** on Windows)
- Slow, VERY slow
- Depends on shell and support tools
- Weak compatibility between versions
- Hard to read, write and learn
- Generally developer unfriendly
- Generated makefiles are big pile of mess
- Considered obsolete (most bigger projects switching to CMake, Scons ...)

> For example to use the solaris compiler I do have to patch the Makefile in the src directory, with a correct configuration script this would not be neccessary :)
You are better off maintaining a makefile patch. Its much simpler than maintaining autoconf/automake. I could add solaris to the list of supported systems in LuaDist which builds with CMake

pd