On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Petite Abeille
<petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2011, at 4:03 PM, David Given wrote:
>
>> It's got nothing to do with Lua, but aeons ago I wrote (and used for a
>> while) an MUA in Python that stored all its data in a MySQL database.
>
> Me too! :))
>
> But it was, err, in Java and used Lucene respectively.
>
> "Googling Your Email"
> http://www.oreillynet.com/network/2002/10/07/udell.html

FWIW, I run the mail archive at http://www.cocoabuilder.com with a
MySQL database, PHP and the Sphinx search engine. The schema is very
simple and, to save space, I get rid of most headers to keep just the
ones I need : subject, author, date. I convert the References header
to just one parent id. I also always convert the content to utf-8 so
that I only have to deal with one encoding. It took me less than two
days to set this up but I already had some code from previous versions
which took five days and were using htdig, then mnogosearch for search
engine (that was back in 2005 IIRC...).

Lua seems to miss some components to make that sort of things easily,
for example :
- http://pecl.php.net/package/mailparse
- http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.mail.html
- http://www.php.net/imap