Petite Abeille <petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the moment, I have a dual structure, using both the file system (to
> store the raw messages) and SQLite (to store the parsed structures and
> assist with queries).

This is exactly what serious IMAP servers like Cyrus and Dovecot do
(though they don't use SQLite).

> I have one database per, hmmm, "mailbox". In this context, a mailbox can
> be any grouping of messages that make some kind of logical sense.

Also pretty normal. IMAP has a very strict mailbox model which mostly
means you get no benefit from cross-mailbox indexes, though there are
extensions for things like multi-mailbox full text search which do need
them.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Thames, Dover, Wight, Portland: East or southeast 3 or 4. Smooth or slight,