I've used the old (original?) IMAP library from the University of Washington (http://www.washington.edu/imap/) for a lot of email processing. It does the trick for me.

I made a small Lua wrapper for it to read emails (http://www.tombob.com/limap.c), but never finished the sending part. The code is probably a bit specific for my needs, you'd need to tweak it for your purposes. I've given it away in the past, so consider it in the public domain.

I would assume it to be pretty trivial to use the UW tools to dump incoming emails into a mbox or mix format file. Then you only need to concentrate on getting the SMTP part correct. Which is hard enough :-)

Robby