Following some note by Mike somewhere in the luajit source code, I've actually started using the Windows DDK (not SDK). With it I can compile luajit (dll and executable using that dll) which links with MSVCRT.DLL and can work back to Windows 2000 (it takes some little tweaking though).

The WDK (Windows DDK) misses sometimes certain C++ things, so other libs I have to compile with it requires some minor tweaking (ZeroMQ for example, and AntTweakBar).

But general with little bit of experience compiling for Windows it's doable.

I'm hard-core cygwin user, but I refuse to compile my stuff with it. And mingw somehow does not work very well with it. And mingw32 and mingw64 are often different, but are fine choice like msvc. Mike has some notes what in terms of errror handling (exceptions) is possible with each compiler/runtime.

Really not a rocket science. I wish that was the hard part!