On 19/07/2011 12.53, Dirk Laurie wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:00:52AM +0200, Lorenzo Donati wrote:
IMO programming is *science*, *engineering* and *art*. Religion has
nothing to do with it. If someone will ever convince me of something
regarding programming on a "religious" argument, in that moment I will
know I've become a slightly worse programmer.

But to return to what after all is the title of this thread: preference
for a particular editor is much like adherence to a particular religion.

Sometimes it is true, sadly.

Few people know more than one well enough to make a considered choice,

Very true, indeed.

whatever you have come to know and love is good enough for you, and you
get annoyed with people who try to persuade you otherwise.

Oh, yes, but then one shouldn't seek advice on which editor is best.
A more "unreligious" approach on both sides would help a constructive discussion: the one seeking advice should maintain an open mind and those giving advice should try to be helpful and describing *why* their favourite editor is so good for them with actual use cases, scenarios and/or rational motivations.

Dirk

-- Lorenzo