After having tested various cross-platform build systems (at least
SCons, bakefile, NetBeans ), I now have adopted QMake (from Qt) for my
major projects.
Despite its origin, QMake does not require Qt from being used in the
project nor even installed. It is clearly targeted toward C++ and C;
other languages would require customization.
I do not pretend that this is the best build tool for C++, but it has
interesting features:
- It can compile directly using makefiles, or generate Visual Studio
and XCode projects that are built hereafter.
- The syntax is quite easy for easy builds, while complex tasks can
also be performed with a more complex syntax.
- It supports a great number of platforms
- The cross-platform open-source IDE "Qt Creator" handles QMake
projects natively.