On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 05:18:52AM -0600, Jeff Pohlmeyer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Rob Kendrick wrote:
>
> > Debian seemed to lead the way in this
>
> Debian "leads the way" - maybe because you're a Debian user?

Nope; I'm not even a Debian user.  It's leading the way here because it
did this reasonably early-on, and Debian's styling for this is probably
by far and away the most common out there, given the popularity of
Debian and its children.

> FreeBSD calls it lua-5.1.pc, which looks much more consistent with all
> the other pkgconfig scripts out there.

I agree.  But as I said, lua5.1.pc is most likely the most common
"correct" way of doing it, even if it's not the prettiest.

> And there are plenty of other platforms that just call it lua.pc.

But these are just as broken ar Archlinux.

> We could argue this into next year, but IMO the best answer is for
> configure scripts and/or makefiles to check for all (5?) of the common
> possibilities.

I already do in my scripts; the thrust of my comment was about systems
that do not allow multiple versions of Lua to be installed at the same
time.  I simply mentioned that it's probably the better of the evils to
change such places to using Debian's styling, as as you have already
discovered, people assume this is "the one" because it's so common.

B.