The Lua mailing list was created fourteen years ago, on Feb 20th, 1997.
Since then, over 75000 messages have been posted! The traffic in
lua-l has increased markedly in the last year, as can be seen in
http://www.lua.org/lua-l-stats.html

Despite some unfortunate threads recently, the signal-to-noise ratio
remains quite high, mainly because of those who generously share their
expertise with the whole Lua community.

I trust we can keep lua-l friendly and welcoming, and full of good advice.
On behalf of the Lua team, I thank you all for joining and helping others.
I close by repeating what we said in the HOPL paper:

   We have been fortunate that the Lua list is very friendly and at the
   same time very technical. The list has become the focal point of the
   Lua community and it has been a source of motivation for improving Lua.

--lhf