On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:56:58PM +0000, Wesley Smith wrote:
> > Also: United States.  Certainly from a personal point of view, I have no
> > interest in visiting somewhere that treats people coming to give their
> > delicate economy money as the enemy.
>
> Honestly, this is pretty ridiculous.  The world is a messy place and
> nothing is perfect.  By that logic you would miss out on visiting
> practically every country in the world.

No, seriously, the US is really bad in this respect.  Far worse than any
of the countries I've ever visited.  It was one of the most miserable
travel experience of my life, and it's only gotten worse in recent
years.

> Governments are not the same thing as the citizens who live in that
> country.

I don't think I suggested otherwise.  However, the first and the most
stressful experience with visiting the US is most certainly with its
government.

> In my mind it's even more important for people to get together despite
> the sometimes harsh realities.

Sure.  But that doesn't limit us to the US.  I'd love to go to another
Lua Workshop, but unfortunately, if it's in the US, it completely
discounts me.  And I know a whole bundle of others who would love to
attend who wouldn't if it were there, too.

B.