I know Rubyk is not a good name. The first version was effectively based on Ruby but never worked for real-time applications. I have a funny test recording the "ruby rubato" effect on midi music: http://gaspardbuma.org/en/post256.html. In my country, we have a strong tradition to using rubies for clockworks and this was the meaning I thought I could give to the "ruby" part in Rubyk.

I thought for some time that I could get away with this explanation (and I liked the letters) but I have finally decided to change the name because

1. It's too close to Ruby
2. It's too close to the Rubik's cube (everyone write Rubik)

The new name (not updated on the website) is lubyk (closer to Lua, and sounds like "fad" in french). If anyone has ideas for a retronym.... (Lunatic bumby yack, Lua based yield killer, ...)

As for Qt, the bindings are not intended to be "all qt" like https://github.com/mkottman/lqt but highly integrated parts that will be added as need arise.

OpenCV bindings exist but are still experimental (could crash).

But the next step for me is to enable support for the wiimote so that I can recreate the "Tron" game with OpenGL (my son is a big fan).

Cheers !

Gaspard

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho@gmx.net> wrote:
> Just not fan of the name, it always remind me of another well known dynamic
> language... :-)

Yes, I'm sure we're not the only people who thought that rubyk mean
something Ruby-related.

The problem with introducing programming is that 'hello, world' just
doesn't cut it anymore.

Kids [1] are used to much more, and having a rich integrated [2]
multimedia kit available will make them learn Lua with pleasure.

You also mentioned OpenCV? That would also be a fantastic thing to
throw into the mix, given that every kid has a webcam.

steve d.

[1] in the general sense of 'an individual who wants to play and learn'
[2] yes, all the parts are there, but man it's hard to get them to work together