On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far I get it, a cookbook is some sort of of book an advanced Lua
> programmer will page through very quickly and put it back - "boring,
> know it all." But for some people like to approach things by reading
> something like this (other just open a console and hack away :-). I

Learning to program is not so different from learning a new natural
language, and all the experts agree that one must read a lot in order
to learn to write.   It is helpful to start with manageable chunks of
code and experiment - there the metaphor is to take an existing recipe
and modify it slightly in one's kitchen.  This builds up confidence
and the person can start writing.

But is the cookbook a book in the traditional sense, or a
well-organized website? These are perhaps complementary views of the
same project....

I get the writing itch as well, so I'll think about topics...

steve d.