Proof: Suppose the string is N bytes long.  Then it cannot contain
     the substring '['..string.rep('-',N-1)..']'.  That string
     delimiter is therefore adequate for embedding the string. Q.E.D.

oops ... ']' should be '['.

And I guess '-' should be '='? I still don't see how this is relevant given the topic though: How do long strings help with embedding literal UTF-8 sequences, given that the Lua 5.1 reference manual seems to make no guarantees about whether the lexer and parser preserve literal UTF-8 sequences in string literals?

 - Peter Odding