On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Dac Chartrand <dac@renoise.com> wrote:
> On 2011-01-01, at 1:03 PM, kevin beckford wrote:
>> [...] you need  a "Lua Cookbook" like Perl's  "Perl Cookbook",
> This would be great.  [...] If a Lua Cookbook in the same style as the above O'Reilly
> classics existed, I would buy it immediately. I own "Programming in Lua, 2nd
> Edition" and it's OK, but there is something to be said about the cookbook format.

Some of the more topic orientated wiki pages somewhat mirror this
style, although abbreviated.  For example, [1] and [2] kind-of mirror
Chapter 1 "Strings" and Chapter 3 "Dates and Times" of the Perl
Cookbook.

There's also the Lua Gems book, but that's not fully in the same mold.
 Everyday Perl Cookbook topics like "inverting a hash" or "difference
of two dates" are not the type of sections you see in gems.

In terms of books, I personally think it may be useful for someone to
write a comprehensive book on the internals of the VM
implementation(s) and patching techniques [3,4].

[1] http://lua-users.org/wiki/StringRecipes
[2] http://lua-users.org/wiki/DateAndTime