Hi starwing,

   I'm sorry but I've been strugling with this for a long time, and
the last thing I want is to have a non deterministic solution. For
example:

Class A;
Class B : public A; //< inherits from A

methods registered:

foo(A*)
foo(B*)
foo(A*, B*)
foo(B*, A*)

now in lua:

a = A();
b = B();

foo(b)     (1)
foo(a,b)  (2)
foo(b,a)  (3)

(1) --> it makes perfectly sense to call both foo(B*) or foo(A*), it
makes a bit more sense to call foo(B*) though, but that now implies
you have to score the functions somehow, if it fails with foo(B*) then
call foo(A*), what happens if instead of a simple relationship we have
multiple inheritance? it's even worse.

(2) & (3) -> again here we have to score to see which functions fits
better the arguments, and if the user wants the
non-best-fit-but-still-valid call we have to add a new way to call the
other function.

Other problem is that in SLB when you receive a A* instance from a
function in C, it determines if the object is indeed an object from A*
or from B*, and if it is from B* it will in fact use the deepest and
more richer class for that object (B*), so it will have all the
methods from A* and B*. That means that we can't use casting as in C
to determine which function to call, this is good though, because lua
is a very powerful dynamic language and SLB mimics that from C++ which
is not.

And then we have the basic lua types against C++ types, you said we
can define a table, but still we will have problems:

foo(double)
foo(float)
foo(int)
foo(unsigned int)
foo(long)
foo(unsigned long)

now from lua...

foo(5) --> which is valid right now for any of the above...

So the simplest, more elegant solution, right now, is not supporting
overloading, I'd rather a quick, stable, and deterministic wrapper,
that lots of rules, that will at the end fail somewhere. If you have a
solution for all the cases, I'm open to any kind of suggestion.

Regards,
   JL.

--
  Jose L. Hidalgo Valiño (PpluX)