On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Zomirp Cila <zomirp.cila@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dynamic diagnostic would be (in my mind) some custom operation not part of application for test or debug (ie: FW update, memory block dump, fault injection...).
> From user's perspective it would be most useful to write this custom operation script (single file - couple of lines, no includes, no link files...) and send it for execution to target through desired communication channel.
>
> For test purposes this is desired on range of CPUs, so no specific CPU.
>
> Thanks for your responses and suggestions for other languages. It seems like I won't be using Lua.
> I'm still evaluating others. Could any of you give me additional Forth directions? Google finds a lot of ports, compilers and so on.
> What sources would best for porting?

As far as working on a range of CPUs, Forth is again a great option
because it only really requires some headers to locate the peripherial
addresses, and a few communication functions to work with the host PC.
 Porting to a new processor is (supposedly, and if you know what
you're doing) a fairly straightforward operation.

My professor had a Forth implementation running on an ARM-Cortex M3 in
class last week.  He hasn't uploaded anything yet, but I'm guessing
that he will make them available shortly.  I'll ask him about it in
class tonight, and let you know.

For reference, his PFAVR application runs Forth on an AVR
microprocessor.  It takes 32k of external RAM, but you could probably
tweak that down significantly, especially if you're willing to make
the interpreter run in Flash, and keep only the dictionary and stacks
in RAM.
The page is at:
http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~steriana/Software/pfavr/index.html
That link also has some introductory material and links to other resources.

I'll let you know what he's planning to do with his ARM Forth
implementation in about 10 hours.
--
Kevin Vermeer

PS Take a look at