Hi,

I'm bothered with large footprint.

I'm LUA fan for a decade now (introduced to me with Girder software) and this is the first time I think about porting. Anyway... what I need is interpreter or script engine to run on various platforms with lowest footprint as possible, 16kB max. Yes 16kB, but I have very few requests: I don't need provided libs or garbage collection. Loop control (for, while), conditionals (if, else), function calls, simple computing (only 32bit ints - add, sub, OR, AND, XOR) and native function calls are enough. OK, now that I've written them looks more that it seemed in my head... but still is a lot less than LUA provides.

So... my question is can LUA be compiled bare naked, only execution flow parser without any libs (ie various type support)? I've gone through sources and from the first look of it seems like a lot of changes to sources. Has anybody thought about splitting LUA into block parts that can be enabled or disabled in sources like that yet?

Why I need this you ask? I would like to download engine and simple script to various microcontrollers (via CAN, USB etc.) in runtime and execute it (ie for diagnostic purposes).

I'll appreciate any other thoughts on the subject.

PA