On 27-Jul-10 13:44, KHMan wrote:
Zomirp Cila wrote:
On 27-Jul-10 13:30, Bogdan Marinescu wrote:
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Zomirp Cila<zomirp.cila@gmail.com> wrote:
On 27-Jul-10 13:23, Bogdan Marinescu wrote:
All of them :)
As I said, I want light diagnostic tool. The interpreter and script will
be
loaded at runtime in RAM then executed.
You want to load the _interpreter_ in RAM? You can forget about that,
no matter if you use Lua or not. You'll can't execute anything from
RAM on many 8-bit MCUs (PICs and AVRs, for example).
You can on PPC, ARM, TriCore...
Well, you did say "all of them" :) And I thought you were targetting
very small systems, because you want everything to fit in 16k.

I'm targeting a bit advanced CPUs. 16kB limitation is due to their's internal RAM. I would like to do dynamic diagnostic which is to advanced for small CPUs (although I don't know what are the capabilities of "hobby" CPUs we (used to) like so much, nowadays)

And "dynamic diagnostic" is...?

I think Lua hardware embedders on the list would be better able to discuss stuff if you can give an example of a specific MCU part that you are looking at.

Dynamic diagnostic would be (in my mind) some custom operation not part of application for test or debug (ie: FW update, memory block dump, fault injection...). From user's perspective it would be most useful to write this custom operation script (single file - couple of lines, no includes, no link files...) and send it for execution to target through desired communication channel.

For test purposes this is desired on range of CPUs, so no specific CPU.

Thanks for your responses and suggestions for other languages. It seems like I won't be using Lua. I'm still evaluating others. Could any of you give me additional Forth directions? Google finds a lot of ports, compilers and so on.
What sources would best for porting?