On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Enrico Colombini <erix@erix.it> wrote:
> Looks like I'm not alone at finding Java a bit object-obsessed ;-)

Oh yes, and the mobile guys have to watch their class count because
there's a per-class overhead.  Object-obsession is for people who
don't have closures ;)

> I see that LuaJava is untouched since January 2007. I gather that it's still
> usable?

It still works. I've actually been quietly fixing bugs and adding some
improvements (so that e.g. you actually get the script line number
where the exception occurred) and hope to fold them back into the
project.  LJ development was driven by the needs of LuaEclipse but I'm
using it as a very nice cross-platform GUI scripting framework, it's
actually a pleasure using Swing without the bureaucracy. Thinking of
doing a mini LJ based desktop edition - the _cool thing_ is that
reflection makes accessing Java classes automatic, so there is no
question of finding or writing bindings - just works on things like
JFreeChart etc.

No ETA, but definitely in the next few months.

steve d.