Alexander Gladysh wrote:
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 04:08, Mike Pall wrote:
Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
(Unfortunately, we never got anything near 5,000 :(

Maybe this is because so far you've not started a sponsorship
campaign with a specific goal (featurewise + moneywise)?

I think moneywise campaign would help. (Or any *campaign* for that
matter, but feature-wise campaigns may be viewed as a way to lobby a
feature into Lua — not necessary a good thing.)

Another vote for a campaign (yeah, Wikipedia is very good at campaigns). The perception is that we're going to get Lua anyway even if we don't donate, so... Why not set a target for 2010? List what the money will be used for, etc. Things like developer grants (including for getting releases out), conference travel, equipment, etc. This is easier for business people to understand, because they are programmed that way. Funding, deliverables, visibility, and all that jazz.

I'm not really worried about lobbying or intellectual/academic integrity. Far more famous people like Gosling or Hejlsberg work in a corporate setting where there is less independence, where the languages they help create are necessarily turned into everything-and-the-kitchen-sink sprawls under corporate control.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)