On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Cosmin Apreutesei
<cosmin.apreutesei@gmail.com> wrote:
> For instance, I
> already took the liberty of creating a project myself
> here http://code.google.com/p/luaforge/ which lists some incredibly close
> goals to what I just read on that google group :)

The project looks pretty nice, but I'm a bit wary of using rockspecs
as the file format for uploading information. The purposes are
different, in that rockspecs are mostly intended just to provide
instructions on creating and installing rocks. Because of this, (a)
they don't offer fields for things like categories, SCM or bug
tracking location, alternative downloads, etc., and (b) the build
instructions are present in the rockspec, and I'm not sure those
really belong on an index (or even a forge). A similar format could be
used, though ("metaspec"?), and I like the idea of auto-polling for
specs. (Possibly, we could use metaspecs for storing the information
and host rockspecs for projects if they provide one.)

I would like to work on LuaForge, but I would prefer it if you
[Cosmin], Jim, whoever is in charge of luaforge.net, and the rest of
the Lua community could decide first who will be coordinating
development. That way, we don't divide the efforts of the community on
two different solutions when probably only one will be chosen.

Also, an interesting idea I had was to create a prototype of the forge
in Django (or some other web framework) to kind of get an idea of what
exactly we're doing before we implement it fully in Lua. Admittedly,
I'm not sure that anyone else would really (want|be able) to work on
it. It's just an idea, as Django has a bunch of stuff included for
rapid Web development that (isn't as polished|we would have to
implement ourselves) in Lua (and it's the one I have the most
experience in).

-- Leaf
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand
binary and those who don't."