On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 4:54 PM, RJP Computing <rjpcomputing@gmail.com> wrote:
Alright. I did a lot more research and fixed the problem. It was a combination of old VC8.0 run-time (I was shipping the pre-SP2 VC8.0 run-time) and placing the 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT' directory under every sub-directory that contains a dll. This way it can load the run-time for each library individually. Please take note of this because if there is a manifest embedded in a dll the run-time will be loaded for every dll that gets loaded. This is a great waste of resources, but this is the way Microsoft now requires it, so we can't fight it. Also it seems like a waste of space, but I guess disc space is cheap.

Thoughts?

Well now I found something that I can't overcome. It is the fact that LuaBinaries and a few of the libraries (alien, lpeg, etc...) are not compiled using Visual C++ 8.0 SP2 so I can't have a directory named 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT' with two different versions of the run-time in the same directory because they contain the same file names.

So if I fired off the vcredist_x86.exe from the installer, I would have to include both VC8.0 SP2 and pre-SP2 redistrib installers. Or remove the embedded manifests from the dlls. Any thoughts?

This rabit hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper.
--
Regards,
Ryan