On 20/05/2008 03:27, gary ng wrote:
Personally, I think file association(adminstrator or
not) is a bad idea for lua(and script language in
general).

Lua being small is anticipated to be run in a
self-containing, multiple version, multiple
installation manner. Doing association would probably
confuse people.

I don't agree. On Windows there is more to file associations than just running a script by double-clicking on it (which is rarely useful indeed). You can set an editor, set a printing action, define drag'n'drop of files on the script, allow to search in scripts via the (poor) default Windows search, etc. See one of my previous messages for these capabilities. I even wrote once a shbang parser for Windows: associate the file to this little prog, it will read the first line of the file and will run the appropriate interpreter. I can donate that to the project if it needs it.

Now, most program installers I saw need to be run with admin privileges, it is pretty standard stuff on Windows. But having an installer doing useful stuff in a restrained account can still be useful, I suppose. Perhaps the installer should issue a warning at the start if it detects it doesn't have admin privileges. Lot of installer script languages have a function for this detection.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France