On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> Could you be even more specific and say exactly which contact list?
> (This might take the form of e-mail addresses it mentions and/or a URL
> where this "contact list" can be found.)  Without extra details I
> don't think we'll know which online documentation you mean, and hence
> won't be able to determine if there's something here that can be
> usefully updated/fixed.

Probably he meant the list of authors. Before sending to this list, he sent
us this nice message:

 I have had this piece of crap for over a month and still can't get it to
 install. Your read me file is very confusing. Plat paths make file test
 install. All these are designed very poorly. How about a simply install so i
 can at least start learning to write script and stop screwing with an
 install that is barbaric one wonders if the language can possibly worth
 learning. I am running windows xp. I have downloaded your 5.1.3 version. All
 files want to know what program to open them. Install does nothing. All I
 want is to be able to start the damn thing. What moron thought releasing it
 in this shape was a good thing?

I don't want to condone or reward the use of tones like this in requests for help, but I'm wondering if we could still take something away from this. Would it be worth it to have a Lua Users Wiki page to guide users through the very basic stuff, such as the general concept of running scripts in languages like Lua, how to use the Lua.exe executable, etc?

I know this material is out there already if you look for it, it's got to be, but do we have it all in one easy document or page to point to for other users with completely blank slates (and friendlier attitudes?)

Evan